
Chicago police stated that shortly ahead of 2 p.m. in the 900-block of East 54th Place, a dark-colored car pulled up along a 24-year-old man. A person were given out of the car, pulled out a gun and demanded the 24-year-old’s assets.
It was now not transparent if the sufferer moved to surrender his issues, however the guy opened fire, shooting the sufferer in the chest, police mentioned. Then the shooter were given again in the car and fled west on 54th Place.
The victim was once taken to University of Chicago health center, the place he died. He has not yet been identified.
The University of Chicago released a statement Tuesday afternoon confirming the sufferer was a contemporary graduate of the college, although they didn't identify him.
“This is devastating news for our complete group,” the remark stated in part.
The university stated they are operating with CPD for their investigation.
“One of the explanations we chose this house is as a result of we idea it was once just a little bit more secure, rather speaking, compared to the other areas around Hyde Park, so just to listen to about this incident, yeah, it indubitably scares me,” mentioned Francis Choi, a graduate student.
Coming directly from a campus meeting with the federal Health and Human Services secretary, Congressman Bobby Rush said federal cash is on the best way to assist fight and save you such violence.
“We have to regard violence in Chicago in the same approach we are treating the pandemic of the coronavirus,” Rush said.
Police have no longer released any further description of the shooter or the auto he used to be in. No one is these days in custody. Area One detectives are investigating.
RELATED: Chicago shooting: 4-year-old boy shot inside parked car in South Chicago, police say
About two hours earlier, anyone fired pictures from a Hyundai Sonata blocks away at 53rd Street and South Harper Avenue, according to a safety alert from the University of Chicago.
No injuries had been reported, but several cars and two companies were damaged through gunfire, the alert said.
The Sonata had been reported stolen Monday, in step with the alert.
Jahmal Cole, head of My Block My Hood My City and a candidate for Congress, mentioned he was nearly struck all the way through the 53rd Street shooting, which took place in a hectic business district.
“I heard 30 shots inside of 10 seconds, just within walking distance of right here,” Cole stated. “A lot of home windows were given shot out.”
Cole said he used to be walking to lunch when he heard random gunshots whizzing by his ear and ran for his existence.
“I want to be transparent that, I am not sure if I was an supposed target lately or if it used to be a random shooting. This is how they get down at the present time. Regardless, this is unacceptable and the people of the First District deserve better,” Cole stated in a publish on Facebook. “Today, I assumed I was going to die as a result of I noticed blood coming from my neck, thinking I used to be shot, again. Fortunately, it was a scrape from happily snorkeling a automobile.”
Cole mentioned whilst he doesn’t consider he was once centered Tuesday afternoon, he has been shot at in the previous, in 2018 and in June of this year as neatly.
Kilwins, a well-liked Hyde Park ice cream shop, was once broken in the shooting.
The shop’s proprietor and workers are expected to speak Wednesday about their safety issues in returning to paintings.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this record.
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.
ncG1vNJzZmhqZGy7psPSmqmorZ6Zwamx1qippZxemLyue82erqxnk522pK3GqGSsoJ%2Bkwaq6xmasnKCZmK6ou4ysq66claPBbrfIpaOenF2eu2602J2cZqiRp7hurdOtnKaopJqxbr7Om5meqqlirqTAyK%2BgrKxdn66pucClZJynnJp6r7HAq6OyZaOdvLV5z5qrq6ecqHqqusKrnJqrlWQ%3D